Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Week 1, Day 2

The headache is gone. This is only Day #2 so I will not be surprised if the headache returns. It takes a while to break the caffeine/sugar addiction. I will continue to have my 2 oz. of Dr. Pepper twice today . . just as I did yesterday, probably through Friday and then cut back to 2 oz. once a day and see how that works. I still love it. I still want it so . . I'm taking each day as it comes and at this point, I think I'm better off having a few ounces per day instead of a whole 12 oz. can once or twice a week, but I'm way too early in this process to predict my relationship with Dr. Pepper in a few weeks or months.

For breakfast, I had:
  • Oatmeal with strawberries
  • Water
For lunch, I had:
  • Roast Beef
  • Mac & Cheese (homemade)
  • Eggplant Parmesan
  • Water
For dinner, I had:


  • Tuna Salad in avocado half, carrot sticks, tomatoes and a few almonds
  • Water
For snacks, I had:
  • Almonds (a few)
  • Blackberries
It's probably wishful thinking on my part but I already feel like my jeans are not quite as tight. Vince said tonight that he feels better not eating so much.

One lesson I learned last night . . drink the water early in the day. I never ever wake up during the night to go to the bathroom and last night I woke up three times! Even though I had water with dinner, the rest of the water drinking marathon ended at 4:30. Hopefully that was early enough for it to get all the way through my system.

9 comments:

  1. Judy, I was so happy to see you addressing this issue on your Patchwork Times Blog. I am struggling so with my diet issues. My goal right now is just to not binge eat and to stay under 200 pounds. I will definitely be looking for your posts since I always love it when you talk about food. I need all the nudging toward healthy food that I can get. Thank you so much for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I would encourage you to watch the Sugar Coated documentary if sugar is an issue for you. We also watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Sometimes the jolt of seeing something like that is a great motivator. Good luck with your plan to eat healthy.

      Delete
  2. After your body adapts to the new diet, you should stop needing to get up at night. It helps to take magnesium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to add anything right now. I think I just drank too much water to late in the day yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Yay! It's great that you're doing this. I cut back on sugar starting about ten years ago and find that it helps my happiness level so much. With no sugar, I feel less anxious and emotional--more calm, serene, able to concentrate. But it's a constant struggle because sugar tends to creep back in. One day, you have a little peanut butter cup, and the next day you want two peanut butter cups. I just take it one day at a time, as they say. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have tried giving up Dr. Pepper before and I'd stay off it a month or so and then I'd have just one and then . . what can one more hurt? Before you knew it, I was right back where I was.

      That's interesting about your emotional state. I never though about it but that's one thing doctors tell parents of ADHD children - limit their sugar intake, so it stands to reason that it would affect us that way too.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have tried giving up Dr. Pepper before and I'd stay off it a month or so and then I'd have just one and then . . what can one more hurt? Before you knew it, I was right back where I was.

      That's interesting about your emotional state. I never though about it but that's one thing doctors tell parents of ADHD children - limit their sugar intake, so it stands to reason that it would affect us that way too.

      Delete
  4. I am not one for diets but I cut out sugar, bread and snacks. I lost 33 lbs in a year. I used Lose It app on my phone as it's proven that keeping track of what one really eats makes all the difference. I walked 4 or 5 times a week. Ate 2 squares of Lindt dark chocolate a day.

    I enjoy bread when I go out to eat, it's like having dessert, but I still don't keep bread, cookies or ice cream in the house.

    And if you like bubbly drinks, try Lacroix or Dasani flavored sparkling water.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those ideas. For now, I'm only cutting out lots o sugar and going to keep everything else in moderation. Having to track food, even on a phone app, seems like a lot of trouble to me especially since I go for days that I don't even know where my phone is, but in the end, I may do it. I'm pretty optimistic that giving up soda, since I was drinking so much, and sugary snacks, is going to be all I need to do.

      I do like fizzy drinks but we use the Soda Stream and it turns free water into a fizzy drink and I can add a twist of lemon or orange if I want a bit of flavor.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.