Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Exercise

Some kind of exercise plan is a must if I'm going to lose weight. I wouldn't consider myself a couch potato but I do not get enough exercise. We have no place to walk and we have no place to set up exercise equipment. With my sciatica, walking on uneven surfaces often causes pain and that prevents walking a lot on the rock driveway. The highway is a busy one and the speed limit is 75 mph so I'm not walking out there. The shop isn't air conditioned and it's horribly dusty in there so we wouldn't put exercise equipment in there. The sewing room is full (as is the house) so  . . exercise equipment isn't going to happen.

The other night I said to Vince:  "Why don't we build a garage and make a little room that would be air conditioned and put in some exercise equipment and a bathroom?" He said "Do you want to keep investing money here, or do you some day want to move?" He didn't say "Missouri" but I believe he was thinking it so .. my answer is . . no more $$ invested here!

I also know that I am not going to leave the house and drive to town 2 or 3 times a week so joining a health club is not an option.

I've been doing a few exercises . . "few" is the key word. There are things I could do even while sitting and knitting . . with leg lifts and the like. I could do bending and stretching type exercises while working in the kitchen. I think I'll be happier if I can exercise without realizing I'm doing it.

There are all kinds of exercise plans available on youtube so that's what I'm going to do.

My plan, beginning today, is to exercise for five minutes at least three times per day. Five minutes doesn't sound like a long time but either my clock is slow or  . . it is a long time . . when exercising!

3 comments:

  1. Why donèt you get yourself a fitbit? You'd be surprised how close you will get to your 10,000 steps, working around the house, garden and trips over to the sewing room. My husband has an apple watch and a little alarm goes off every hour and tells him to get up and move!! He usually gets up and walks around for a ew minutes. All those steps count, and every little bit helps! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have two Fitbits . . a newer one and an older one. I don't wear them much but in my mind, they only tell me how many steps I've taken and don't really "help" me exercise. I like them more for letting me know how much sleep I got and whether it was restful sleep or not. It's rare that I don't get in my 10,000 steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some of the walk at home DVDs by Leslie sansone. They are very good and you only need a space that's four steps wide, but even if you didn't have that you could do all the steps just walking on the spot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.