Thursday, May 19, 2016

Cholesterol

My cholesterol is always borderline. Doctors, being ever cautious of malpractice claims, always want to put me on a statin and I always say no. I've read about the side effects and I feel my cholesterol issues to some degree are inherited. My mom weighs about 90 pounds soaking wet and has been on cholesterol meds for years and years and her levels never change much. Some day you'll read a note from Vince that I did from high cholesterol and you'll be saying "I knew she should have taken her meds!" but I won't be around to hear you so . . it won't bother me what you say.  :)



I have no medical training so never trust anything I tell you, ok? But, I have the best physician's assistant and I love him and I love his nurse. Last spring when I had my blood work done, as usual, I got the speech about my cholesterol being borderline. He said "Common practice would have me put you on statins." I said NO! He said "Good! I like that." He told me about a lady who came to him year after year with borderline cholesterol numbers and she always refused meds. One year she came to him and told him that she had read about a study where the folks ate oatmeal once a day and took red yeast rice and their cholesterol results were greatly reduced. He wanted me to try it and I am and I need to get back there and get blood work done.

Also, I've read recently that eating 1/2 cup of almonds can reduce your LDL-cholesterol by up to 10%. I'm thinking 3 cups of almonds per day and I should be almost to where the doctor wants me to be! Seriously, I'm going to eat 1/2 cup of almonds per day for the next few weeks, be sure to eat my oatmeal religiously and take my red rice yeast without missing a day and then . . I'll have my blood work and we'll all know if any of this is true.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll see a decrease in the bad cholesterol levels. There is a mayo clinic study discussing the benefits of almonds and LDL cholesterol. My mom has had very good luck with just eating almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cardiologist added 4 fish oil capsules (900 mg Omega-3's in ea.)to my daily med list which includes a statin. My levels are now normal. So, you could ask if fish oil caps would help you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.