Saturday, May 21, 2016

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

A reader sent me a link to Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Again, let me remind you that I am not a scientist, a doctor . . nothing . . a wife, a mom, a quilter, a knitter! I ask you to watch these videos or read the books that I mention so you can be informed about what you eat. You then must make a decision as to what you believe to be true and what you believe to be hype.

Four days of cutting back my sugar and I'll be honest . . the first two days were hard. I was tired, had no energy, had just a bit of a headache . . definitely felt like something was missing but today, Thursday, I feel so good. I feel lighter, though I know I have not lost enough weight to be noticing.

This is all to say that all I want you to do is be informed. I'm not trying to convince you that sugar is bad. It may not be. I honestly feel like so many of us are overweight because we just don't really know the truth about our foods and/or some of the additives in our foods.

So, this guy is talking on the Sugar: The Bitter Truth video and he begins talking about cholesterol, which is something I'm quite interested in because, as I've mentioned, I'm avoiding taking meds, even though modern medicine suggests I should be taking meds.

I guess I'm throwing HIPAA regulations to the wind here because I'm sharing my medical records.

From my records, which I can view online, I can see my lipid profile levels from 2015.



Hopefully you can make those numbers large enough to read.

Based on info from the video, the guy said the triglyceride to HDL level is what really matters to get a reading on your chance of heart disease. I googled for a way to calculate the ratio and found several. I plugged my numbers into all, got some different results but all the results said my triglycerides are too high.

Next, I googled "How to lower triglycerides" and after viewing several sites. This is the site I liked best. Over and over I saw these steps recommended to lower triglycerides:
  1. Lose weight.
  2. Cut back on sugar.
I'll repeat again . . I knew I was overweight; I knew I was consuming too much sugar. But actually reading all this, watching the videos .. I think I'm turning into a fanatic but I'd rather be a healthy fanatic at an ideal weight than an oblivious overweight unhealthy granny.


I encourage you to watch the video - Sugar: The Bitter Truth and make an educated decision as to your future food consumption.

3 comments:

  1. Since his 2009 video, The Bitter Truth, there is an updated version of Dr. Lustig's lecture. If you are interested it can be found at http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Fat-Chance-Fructose-2-0-25641

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the very first one we watched - Fat Chance. I find all of videos/lectures to be excellent.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.