Monday, May 16, 2016

The Sugar Factor

Last night we watched a documentary about sugar in our diet. I am no expert but I think it isn't hard to see that many of us are eating too much sugar and when compared to the amount of sugar consumed by previous generations, our consumption is way up . . as is our weight and incidents of health related problems caused by being overweight. I do know that too many people, along with the documentaries they produce, have an agenda so I'm not here to say that I watched one or two shows and I'll never eat sugar again. I'm here to say that I know, even before watching these shows, that I eat too much sugar. I am overweight, I am almost 62 years old and I want to live out the rest of my years as healthy as possible.

We eat fairly healthy, at least compared to many folks. We rarely eat out. Unless we're traveling (rare) and are desperate, we don't eat fast food. We don't eat much prepared or packaged food. We have a garden and grow quite a bit of our own food. We have chickens that produce our eggs. We drink raw milk straight from the cow.

My downfall is soda! I keep telling myself that I am not overweight because of what I eat, but because of what I drink, although I do know that I eat too much sugar. To be totally honest, I often just eat a spoonful of sugar right out of the canister.

After watching the documentary last night, and then a second documentary, I went to bed knowing that tomorrow is a new day.

Tomorrow from last night is now today and the hard part begins. I am not going to tell you how much I weigh but I will tell you that I seriously want to lose 50 pounds. I will be quite happy if I lose 40 pounds, which is probably more realistic at my age but I am setting my goal at 50 pounds. I am not setting a target date but I know that 2 pounds per week is reasonable in the beginning and it may get harder as I go.

I will try to do daily posts here, though I will weigh in only once per week. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Judy, I love your blog at Patchwork Times and I am going to say I love you, not yucky though. You inspire me to do a lot of things I have put off due to being quite arthritic and older now. I am happy you are doing this in that you will feel better, but also because those of us who read you will take inspiration from you too. Good luck. One day at a time. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, thanks for your honesty about sugar. I need to tackle my eating habits as well and look forward to your new blog. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, thanks for your honesty about sugar. I need to tackle my eating habits as well and look forward to your new blog. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We changed our eating about 10 months ago, and when you cut the processed sugar out of your diet, you will find (eventually), that when you want something sweet, the natural sweetness of a piece of fruit will be quite satisfying. And if you DO splurge and have a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream, that influx of sugar will make you feel sluggish and awful!! My husband has lost 100 pounds, and I've lost 50 in 10 months (I'm actually down 85 pounds in the last 3 years.) You can do it if you are committed to permanently changing your eating habits. You can't just lose a few pounds and then go back to eating the way that got you there in the first place. It's for life and although you'll have setbacks, and the weight comes off in fits and starts sometimes, as long as you keep going in the right direction, you're doing okay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when I was eating all the sugar, sometimes I would feel the overload and I would think "this can't be good for me" but I just kept on. I'm amazed at your weight loss. Congratulations to you both!

      The commitment - that's why I'm not looking at it as a "diet" but as a healthy way of living, and hoping that we stick with it.

      Thank you for the encouragement and good luck to you two.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments. All are appreciated.